Monday, April 4, 2011

What's (not really) Cookin'

A few people have expressed interest in what I eat. I would like to begin by saying that choice of food may be determined by ethical or religious views as well as unique tastes. What works for one person does not work for all. I do not want this to be a discussion over which 'way' of eating is best. As long as it is healthy and fits into your daily calorie allotment, then enjoy!

I am gluten-intolerant (I will discuss in a future post) and I am extremely opposed to artificial colors. I try to buy organic because pesticides concern me, but if the organic option is way over-priced or doesn't look good, then I will buy conventional. Although, I am lucky to live near a Trader Joe's where organics are affordable. I tried a vegan diet a few times over the years but found my body did not function as well without protein from animal sources. For some people, eating a plant-based diet is a very healthy way to eat and I eat that way often, but not every day. Every person is different and it is important to pay attention to how certain foods react with your body. I am also not much of a cook. I keep meals pretty simple with mostly salads, lean protein, and steamed veggies. I find that the 'fancier' your dish becomes, usually the more fat and calories are added. I do, however, use lots of spices such as turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, rosemary, and others.

Although I eat a variety of food, here are some of my favorites:
  • Blue Diamond vanilla unsweetened almond milk - 40 calories per cup and I use it in smoothies, coffee, and to make chocolate milk for my daughter.
  • Plain greek yogurt - I mix in Flaxseed and a tiny bit of Trader Joe's organic low-sugar preserves. Flaxseed oil and flaxseed are both a great source of alpha linolenic acid (ALA), a type of plant-derived omega-3 fatty acid, but the actual seeds also contain lignan, an antioxidant which may play a role in preventing diseases such as breast cancer. Make sure to grind the seeds since your body cannot digest them whole.
  • Organic field greens, carrots, baby tomatoes, cucumbers, and celery- these are always on hand for quick salads. I put almost any lunch or dinner over a salad. I have to buy these a few times a week since we eat so much.
  • Apples, bananas, frozen berries - in season I buy other fruit as well, but these are our staple fruits. Apples contain pectin which lowers LDL ("bad") cholesterol. Bananas are a great source of potassium. Berries are a nutritional powerhouse, containing anti-cancer compounds such as calcium, folic acid, fiber, and phytochemicals. They also contain antioxidants which prevent free radical damage to the body, slowing down the aging process.
  • Whey protein powder - I mix with equal parts water and almond milk. Then add either half a banana or a few frozen strawberries, but not both. If making a vanilla shake, I also add cinnamon for the taste and the anti-inflammatory properties. I use Shakeology for my meal replacement and About Time Whey for just protein powder.
  • Frozen broccoli and spinach- Spinach to add to omelettes and broccoli at almost every meal.
  • Frozen wild Alaska salmon and lean turkey burgers - always nice to have as an option but not used frequently. This is when I really want to "cook fancy".
  • Eggs - but not for breakfast!(although they make a great breakfast). We love them for lunch and dinner. Eggs are a great source of lean protein and we have omelettes often. I either make one egg with two whites or just three whites. I add lots of spinach, some hot sauce, maybe some parmesan cheese, and put on top of a huge salad of course! Remember, it is important to sometimes eat the egg yolk since that is where most of the nutrition of the egg is found. The yolk contains all of the egg's vitamins A, E, D, and K, and almost all of vitamins B6 and B12, calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, and folate. However, the whites are only 17 calories compared to 80 calories for the full egg, so choose according to your needs for the day.
  • Boars Head low sodium turkey - this is more for my husband but I have been known to snack on a slice or two when my energy is low. I also like Applegate Farm but prefer the low sodium and fresh sliced over the organic in this case.
  • Sardines in water (low sodium) - before you say 'ick!' read this New York Times post: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/the-11-best-foods-you-arent-eating/ . They are a great source of omega-3 and calcium, very filling, and low calorie.
  • Cans of beans - I keep a variety of beans in my cabinet. They are great to toss over a salad or to use in the slow-cooker for a vegan chili. Beans are a great source of protein and fiber, and are very versatile in terms of (not really) cooking.
  • Quest Bars - These are great for convenience while on-the-go. And they are Gluten Free!!!
We go out to eat most weekends and I try to make healthy choices. I generally choose fish, sushi, Thai food, grilled chicken salads, and the occasional Greek salad ( I enjoy them but consider the cheese a splurge). And remember to watch out with sushi since it is one of those foods that tend to wear a 'health halo', meaning since it is generally healthy, people tend to forgot it can be caloric. Here is a good slide show from Shape Magazine: http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/on-the-go/eating-out/healthy-options/6-best-low-calorie-sushi-rolls. And this is a great article about sushi from one of my favorite websites: http://www.angrytrainerfitness.com/2010/11/taste-it-or-waste-it-sushi/#more-764 that I recommend reading before your next sushi feast!

I watch my calories and my portions, which is pretty easy to do using a smartphone app such as MyFitnessPal. They also have a website, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/. It is a great way to make good restaurant choices by looking up your meal before you even order it. You may choose a low calorie option, or choose a more decadent meal and then divide the portion you eat to match the calories you desire. Sometimes I input three different dinners into my iPhone and then decide which one I will order.

In moderation, I do love my treats! I enjoy an occasional glass of wine (or two), a piece of chocolate, sorbet, frozen yogurt, or gluten-free cookie. However, I make sure it fits within my calories for the day. And if it doesn't, but I still want it, I make up for it by eating a bit less the next day. And I make sure to thoroughly enjoy parties and holidays, guilt-free! Life is too short not to.

Bon Appetit. Make it healthy and enjoyable.
XOX

Disclaimer: Please note that this is a blog which contains opinions, thoughts, and links to other information. Before making any major exercise or diet changes, it is advised to consult your physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment