Thursday, June 2, 2011

Older and (Possibly) Wiser


I recently turned 42 and I am proud of how much wiser I have become with age. I look back to when I was 22 and I am happy to see how much I have evolved.
When I was 22, I avoided avocadoes and nuts since I was ‘positive’ that I would get fat from eating them. Now at 42, these healthy fats (in moderation) are staples of my diet since they are so good for my heart and for my skin. And I did not gain any weight from them!
At 22, I ate a bagel every day since it was fat-free, and how can you get fat if you don’t eat fat? At 42, I would never eat a bagel, because bagels and other simple carbs will make me gain weight.
At 22, I had a strict, inflexible regimen of running 3-5 miles on the treadmill, followed by strength training for the body part I was working that day. I didn’t enjoy it.  It was just something I ‘had to’ do. At 42, I teach a variety of classes and I take Yoga and Zumba for fun. I cross train and do full body workouts focused on both strength and power. I have a lot of fun and enjoy the variety of my workouts. And yes, I still run, but I do interval sprints and run on the days I feel like it.
At 22, I did care about my skin, but was lazy with my sunscreen and sometimes gave into the ‘peer pressure’ of being tan. At 42, I use sunscreen every day and avoid the sun during peak hours. Lunchtime is spent indoors. I also see my dermatologist each year for a skin check.
At 22, I loved supplements and wanted to try everything I read about. At 42, I realize most supplements are dangerous and I stick to my multi, calcium, fish oil, and glucosamine (per my doctor). And I make sure my doctor knows everything I take.
At 22, I worked out and watched my diet for the sole purpose of fitting into my jeans and wearing a bikini. At 42, I exercise because I love it and eat right to mitigate my risk of disease. That also means watching calories because carrying a few extra pounds does put a person at risk for disease. And as a bonus my jeans fit and I can still wear a bikini.
At 22, having a stranger compliment my appearance made me feel great. At 42, having my daughter watch me run on the treadmill and say ‘Mommy you run so fast, I am going to eat broccoli like you so I can run that fast!’ is the only compliment that matters. Well, I admit it also makes me feel great the way my husband looks at me! I really do not care what any strangers think.
At 22, I colored my hair often because I was easily bored, even though the chemicals could have been bad for me. I also wore heels I had trouble walking in since they looked good, even though it put my feet, knees and back at risk. At 42, well…. Ok… some things will never change!
Have a wonderful and healthy week
XOX
This blog is for informational purposes only.  It’s not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health problem, nor is it intended to replace the advice of a physician.  No action should be taken solely on the contents of this website.  Always consult your physician or qualified health professional on any matters regarding your health. It is advised see your physician before changing your diet, starting an exercise program, or taking any supplements of any kind.

1 comment:

  1. I love the wisdom that comes with age too. I'd never turn back the clock! You look even more beautiful now! Xoxoxoxo P~

    ReplyDelete