Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Eat Like a Bird


Lately I have been eating like a bird. No, I don’t mean tiny pieces of food because I do like to eat. I am talking about seeds. There are so many benefits to adding seeds to your diet and such a variety of seeds to add. Here are some of my favorites that I eat regularly:
Chia Seeds: Remember the cha-cha-chia pet? Or am I just showing my age? Well, chia seeds are nutritional powerhouses. These seeds are high in important nutrients such as antioxidants and heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids as well as fiber, magnesium, potassium, iron, calcium, and protein. They are small and round and resemble a poppy seed. If you let them soak in water for about 15 minutes they expand and turn a bit gelatinous, making them a base for some healthy vegan puddings. I add them to Greek yogurt or put in my smoothie.
Hemp Seeds: Hemp seed is available in three basic forms: seed, powder, or oil. One of the biggest benefits of hemp seeds is that they are higher in high quality protein than other seeds, containing all 10 essential amino acids, which makes them a great vegan-friendly protein source. It is also the easiest protein to digest. Hemp contains omega-3 fatty acids and is an excellent source of riboflavin (Vitamin B2), which is important for general health as well as slowing the aging process and supporting a healthy metabolism. And don’t worry (or be disappointed), you will not get high from them! The hemp seeds sold in stores do not contain delta-9-tettrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive ingredient in pot. I use hemp to power up my smoothies as I transition away from using whey.
Flaxseed:  Flax contains lignans, fiber, potassium, and omega-3 fatty acids. Lignans have been shown to reduce the risk of cancer when used regularly. Flaxseed can be used either as oil or the grounded seeds. The whole seeds cannot be digested and will therefore serve no purpose. Flaxseed oil can be taken as a supplement or on salad. I use ground flaxseed in oatmeal or over yogurt.
Pumpkin seeds: These are also called ‘pepitas’ and are known for being a great source of iron. If you don’t eat red meat, think about adding these to your diet. I personally think these taste great raw as a snack or on a salad. But often these are sold roasted, salted, flavored, etc in the stores. At that point the nutritional value decreases. If you want more flavor, roast them yourself using some lime juice and chile.
Sunflower seeds: Sunflower seeds are high in protein, vitamin E, and antioxidants. They also taste great. Sunflower seed butter is a great alternative to peanut butter and is a good choice to use for school lunches. I snack on them or add to my salads.
Sesame seeds: These are a great source of calcium. They can be ground into flour, which makes a great gluten-free substitute for baking. I do not eat these quite as often as the others, but that is just due to personal preference.
Quinoa: I bet many of you thought this is a grain. It really isn’t, it is a ‘pseudo-grain’. Pseudo-grains are commonly referred to as grains but technically are seeds. They are naturally gluten free and contain more protein than grains. Buckwheat and Wild Rice are other examples of pseudo-grains. Quinoa is high in protein, iron, potassium, and B vitamins. It is a good idea to rinse the quinoa well before cooking since it naturally contains a bitter resin. Most of the quinoa you see in stores has already been rinsed, but it is a good idea to also rinse again. Quinoa is delicious and can be used in place of any grain to give your meal more power. Quinoa is a staple food in my house.
So, try some, or all, of these powerful seeds. They taste great and are so good for you. Give it a few weeks and see how much more energy you have. They are not as caloric as nuts, but you still need to practice portion control. Remember the bulk of your diet should still come from non-starchy vegetables.
Have a healthy week

 XOX
This blog is for informational purposes only.  It’s not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health problem, nor is it intended to replace the advice of a physician.  No action should be taken solely on the contents of this website.  Always consult your physician or qualified health professional on any matters regarding your health. It is advised see your physician before changing your diet, starting an exercise program, or taking any supplements of any kind.



1 comment:

  1. I remember cha-cha-chia pet... lol... who knew the seeds were good for you! I'll try them. Hemp made me ill, so won't be eating that anymore. But I love pumpkin seeds and quinoa. I've been baking with ground flaxseed too. Makes a delicious banana bread! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete