Saturday, March 26, 2011

Yes I CAN Jump!

Recently, I was in a fitness commercial, and my husband played it back super slow and noticed that I didn't jump as high as the others. Ok, maybe I was nervous on camera next to all these amazing women.. but I can and I do jump! I do Plyometrics as part of my training.
Plyometric training methods have actually been around for over 400 years, according to AFAA (Fitness Theory and Practice). They include various jumping, bounding, and leaping drills to produce gains in muscle power and reactive strength. Muscle Power is the ability to develop force as quickly as possible while Reactive Strength is the ability to quickly switch from an eccentric contraction (lengthening of joint angle) to a concentric contraction (shortening of joint angle). Think superhero "Pow!"
Since plyometrics require a high level of strength, another option is Pseudo-Plyometrics, or power moves. These are scaled down versions of plyometric drills that are often found in group exercise classes (In my classes, I scale down traditional plyometric drills by adding a bit of a pause between jumps). These tend to be more lower-body specific whereas true plyometrics work both upper and lower body. Power moves are also geared more towards overall fitness and require a moderate level of strength.
An example of an upper body plyometric drill is a push-up where you push strong off the floor and clap in-between (I always think of the Rocky movies). Lower body examples are jump squats, split jump lunges, and high box jumps, just to name a few. A burpee (squat thrust) is a great full body plyometric move.
I like to use plyometrics as either a finisher at the end of my workout for a great cardio blast, or as a super-set with a strength move for that same body part (ex. lunge/split jump).
Plyometrics really challenge your cardiovascular system and speed fat loss the same way hard sprints do.
They are for the advanced exerciser, but power moves such as jumping jacks, jump squats with a pause, and slower/controlled burpees are great for intermediate levels.
However, all of these moves are contraindicated for: pre/post natal, seniors, obese, orthopedic problems, hypertension, cardiac issues, and back problems.
I enjoy plyometric drills because they burn alot of calories in a very short time, they help train my nervous system so that I can steady myself fast in the event of a fall, and I can tell my husband that I CAN JUMP!
Have a wonderful weekend! XOX

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Sharon. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete