Monday, May 2, 2011

Can a Plant or Pollen Allergy Turn into a Food Allergy?

A while back I woke up with very swollen lips. Well, actually ‘very swollen’ is a bit of an understatement; I looked like Mick Jagger with some very bad collagen implants! After I taught a Pilates class in a very dark room (I told the class we are going to focus on breath and awareness that morning), I grabbed my 3yr old daughter and hightailed it to my dermatologist’s office. I thought the reaction was from a cookie (I am gluten intolerant) I ate at a holiday party after having two (or more) glasses of wine.

My regular Dr. was not available so I saw her associate. He knew right away that my pumped up lips were not from a reaction to gluten, but he was determined to find out the cause rather that just treat it. After asking me tons of questions, he figured out that I had some mango the day before and, since I am severely allergic to poison ivy, the mango was a ‘secondary reaction’ to the ‘primary’ poison ivy allergy. He also told me that he noticed my chart shows an allergy to cashews as well and told me that cashews are also linked to poison ivy.

Although it was definitely a ‘eureka!’ moment at the time, it isn’t really that mysterious. The active ingredient in poison ivy that causes the reaction is urushiol , and both mangoes and cashews contain small amounts of it. Therefore, if someone is severely allergic to poison ivy (primary allergen), that person can have a reaction to the secondary allergen. I thanked him so much for figuring this out, and my daughter asked him if he could now fix ‘the crease right there on Mommy’s forehead’ (yes, thanks so much darling!). I left with a steroid cream and something else to add to the list of things I can’t eat (although it is only fresh mango that is a problem for me, I can still have Trader Joe’s mango sorbet).

This type of condition is not overly uncommon. I recently read an article in More magazine claiming that up to 10 percent of the adult population suffers from something similar, Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS), which is a pollen associated food allergy. The sufferer’s immune system sees a similarity between the proteins of pollen and those of certain foods and a reaction is triggered. This also happens in the adult years rather than in childhood since it takes repeated exposure to (in the case of OAS) pollen allergens, causing repeated stimulation of the immune system causing it to become so overly sensitive that it picks up on related proteins. My crossover allergy is similar to OAS.
Here are some common pairs of primary allergens and their secondary allergens. The proteins are similar. Also remember, this is only a problem for the few with very severe allergies to the primary allergen. Data from the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology:
  • Birch Pollen: apples, pears, peaches, kiwis, plums, cherries, celery, carrots, hazelnuts, and almonds
  • Ragweed: bananas, melons, cucumbers, zucchini, and sunflower seeds
  • Grass Pollen: tomatoes and oranges
  • Mugwort Weed: apples, carrots, kiwis, coriander (spice)
  • Dust Mites: Shrimp and other shellfish
  • Poison Ivy: Cashews and mangoes
  • Latex: Bananas, kiwi, papayas, avocados, and peaches
These allergies are hard to recognize and even harder to diagnose. The food allergy responses are often inconsistent. For example if you are allergic to ragweed, your immune system is heightened in the fall when ragweed is abundant and you may have a reaction to a cucumber then but not in the spring. Peeled fruits and vegetables can also cause much less of a reaction as well since the crossover proteins tend to be in higher concentration in the skins. Another obstacle is the fact that food allergies are very hard to diagnose in adults. It is important to pay attention to your body and to know what doesn’t feel right for you.
Please remember that these secondary allergic reactions are rare, but they can still be serious. Do not ignore any itchiness, swelling, or rashes. Also, the reactions often get worse with repeated exposure. I recently made the mistake of having a tiny bit of cashew and had to take Benadryl right away. I am lucky that it worked, since after repeated exposure I would eventually require an EpiPen. That was a lesson-learned for me though. I now read every label and make sure to tell people about my allergies at parties and restaurants. I have come to realize it is not embarrassing, or being difficult, but that it can be life threatening.  If you suspect that you may have a crossover allergy, please see your doctor since they can be very serious but they can also be very well managed.
Have a wonderful and healthy week
XOX
This blog is for informational purposes only.  It’s not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health problem, nor is it intended to replace the advice of a physician.  No action should be taken solely on the contents of this website.  Always consult your physician or qualified health professional on any matters regarding your health. It is advised see your physician before changing your diet, starting an exercise program, or taking any supplements of any kind.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Sharon!

    I went to see an allergist last year because of an itchy skin rash that I was getting when I worked out. He asked me about all reactions so I gave him the long list. He made the connection between my environmental allergies and the oral reactions.

    I have a secondary reaction to foods related to birch pollen. Not so much with kiwis but I have a sneaking suspicion that cherries will kill me. It is all good if it is cooked or somehow altered chemically like peeled apples getting brown with contact to air.

    ReplyDelete