Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Kookin' with Kaitlyn

I may need to thank Nick Jr. TV station for my daughter’s healthy eating. When my daughter was four and she loves a show on that station called ‘iCarly’. It is about a girl who, along with her friends, hosts an Internet show. My daughter thought that sounded so cool, so I suggested that she have her own show. And the idea of ‘Kookin’ with Kaitlyn’ was born. She is now almost 6 and she still loves this
Full disclosure, this was not a real show. We did not stream live. We did not even have a webpage. We used my Facebook personal and business pages. I took pictures of her cooking her recipes and posted it on my personal page. She gets so excited about that and loves to see it up on the computer. Then later in the evening, after we taste-test the recipe, with feedback from her, Daddy, and me, we would post the recipe on my Sharon Sherry Fitness page.
This is fun for her and she looks forward to it most weeks. Even the week our beloved family cat died, she insisted on ‘doing Kookin’ with Kaitlyn’ because ‘everyone wants to see the show and that is what Barney (our cat) would want me to do’. Her show helped her heal her heart.
Each time we made a new recipe, we spoke about what we were going to make. We usually got ideas from friends. (her own original recipe is posted below) Then we go to the store and have her pick out the veggies.. Yes, that is right, she is excited about the vegetables because she chooses them herself. I also let her choose the spices we use as well.
The meals we make are healthy, ‘clean’, gluten-free, low-carb, low in saturated fat, very low sodium, and full of many vegetables. Due to her age, I did not allow her to handle any raw meat, poultry or fish, no knives, and no open flames. She did everything else except for those items.
Her ‘show’ Kooking with Kaitlyn has turned her into a very healthy eater. But more than anything, it greatly built up her self-esteem and confidence. Plus it is a ton of fun for me!
Kaitlyn’s Own Chicken Recipe
4 breast of chicken
minced garlic
1/2 yellow onion chopped
1 eggplant cubed
2 yellow peppers cut
1/2 bag of Trader Joes organic frozen chopped spinach
Trader Joes flower pepper
Stew Leonards Italian seasoning spice mix
Trader Joes organic low-sodium vegetable broth
Place chicken in slow-cooker with garlic and pepper on top, add onions, add veggies, sprinkle seasoning, add a bit of broth to wet
Cook on low for 7 hours but put on high for first 30-40 minutes. Mix and fork-shred chicken before serving
Nutrition per each serving (makes 4) 250 calories, 23g carbs, 36g protein, 2g fat

No comments:

Post a Comment